Junaid Ahmed is the Founding Partner of firm, and is a Barrister and Advocate of the High Courts of Pakistan. He was Call to the Bar of England & Wales by the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn after completing Bar Professional Training Course from the University of West of England, Bristol (UWE). He obtained LL.B from the University of London, and LL.M from UWE with a dissertation on International Trade Law and further completed his Post Graduate Diploma in Taxation from the Institute of Business Administration (IBA). He is an accredited Civil & Commercial Mediator qualified from the United Kingdom.
He leads his team in both non-contentious and contentious matters before the Trial Courts, Tribunals and High Courts of Pakistan. He is considered among those advocates who can confidently and competently argue and handle briefs from any area of law. He is the youngest Co-Founder of Themis School Law: an accredited registered Institution of the University of London which is offering undergraduate and post-graduate law qualifications in Karachi, Pakistan.
Junaid has a proven track record of handling cases which are challenging, complex and time-sensitive, and over the years he has developed expertise in various branches of law including, but not limited to, Property and Real Estate, Taxation/Customs, Anti-Dumping, Commercial, Company, Landlord and Tenant, Service/Employment, Criminal law (including White-Collar Crime), Family and Intellectual Property law. He has advised and successfully represented various associations, private and public limited companies including multinationals and high net individuals in wide variety of disputes from core commercial to hardcore criminal offences.
List of recent legal engagements :
- Represented leading Industrialists before the High Court of Sindh at Karachi against SITE and Government of Sindh, in a matter pertaining to cancellation of allotments, and successfully restrained the Respondents from taking any coercive action or creating any third party interest.
- Represented leading company of Packaging before the Islamabad High Court in a matter pertaining to recovery of anti-dumping dues , and successfully restrained the Respondents from taking any coercive action or creating any third party interest.
- Represented one of the leading manufacturers and exporter of Garments and Home Textile i.e. ASCO International Pvt. Ltd as their Lead Counsel in a matter pertaining to employment law and trade secrets before the Sindh High Court. The High Court granted the first-ever injunction on trade secrets, especially when there was no written contract between the employer and employee.
- Represented M/s. Monolite CNG International Ltd against Shell Pakistan Limited in relation to its disputes pertaining to Franchise Agreement, Rent Agreement, Land and other ancillary issues before the Sindh High Court (Karachi) and Rent Controller (Faisal Cantonment).
- Represented Project Management and Design Company against DHA Bahawalpur before the Sindh High Court (Karachi) and obtained an injunction successfully whereby the High Court restrained DHA Bahawalpur from taking any adverse actions against our Client. It must be noted here that DHA Bahawalpur was illegally threatening our Client to re-engage for Design services of the Project despite its contractual obligations have duly discharged and performed.
- Represented one of the leading manufacturers of Paper and Paperboard i.e. Khairullah Paper and Board Works Ltd and Pakistan Packages Ltd in an Anti-Dumping matters before the Anti-Dumping Appellate Tribunal (Islamabad) , Sindh High Court and Islamabad High Court.
- Represented one of the leading manufacturers as well as importer of Paper and Paperboard in an income tax matter pertaining to the grant of exemption under Section 148 of Income Tax Ordinance 2001;
- Represented the family of Mr. Rana Hamir Singh, Member Provincial Assembly (‘MPA’) and Ex-Federal Minister of Pakistan, against GEO Television Network in a Defamation Suit before the Sindh High Court and PEMRA. He successfully obtained orders from both competent forums whereby GEO was directed to publish apology in the same show.
- Represented Senior officers of Trading Corporation of Pakistan (TCP) before the Sindh High Court in a matter pertaining to the termination of employment. The Court suspended the show-cause notice and restrained Trading Corporation of Pakistan from terminating the employment of the officer.
- Represented one of the Distributors of Lenovo and Samsung before the Sindh High Court by challenging the actions taken by the Federal Investigative Agency (FIA) of freezing the personal bank account of our Client.
- Represented StampCo Steel Corporation before the Sindh High Court in a Custom Dispute and successfully released their Bank Guarantees deposited before the Custom Collectorate at the time of provincial release of steel consignments.
- Represented Travel Agents Association of Pakistan (‘TAAP’) in relation to a dispute of reduction of remittance cycle from fortnightly to weekly before the Sindh High Court;
- Represented Pakistan Mobile Telecommunication Company (Known as ‘Mobilink/Jazz’) in relation to a matter where we challenged the vires of Stamp Act 1899 as well as the inspection before the Sindh High Court;
- Acted as a Counsel on behalf of NCEL Building Management Ltd and Pakistan Merchandise Exchange Limited in a matter pertaining to the land called “Hayat Regency” in various contentious issues in relation to the ownership/transfer, rent, and the covenants contained in the lease deed before the Sindh High Court and Supreme Court of Pakistan;
- Represented S.C Johnsons & Sons Ltd successfully in Reduction of Share Capital proceedings before the Sindh High Court;
- Represented Regal Motors and DFSK (China) in a matter pertaining to infringement of Trademark and Passing-off. Successfully got the interim injunction in favour of our Client;
- Engaged as Junior Counsel in matter pertaining to Patent law on behalf of Getz Pharma Ltd in order to challenge the patentability of the molecule called ‘Ivabradine’ against Servier Laboratories (France) before the Sindh High Court;
- Acted as Junior Counsel for Master Enterprises (Pvt.) Ltd in a matter pertaining to the infringements of trademarks “Cool Gel” and “Memory” against various private entities before the Sindh High Court;
- Represented various foreign shipping clients through Indamines Marines Ltd such as Odfjell Asia Ltd, Argent Navigations Libero Panama S.A, Costus S.A, Jasmine Navigation SA etc in shortage of oil cargo disputes before the District Court of Pakistan;
- Represented various individual clients in matters involving Family law in relation to Child Custody, Maintenance and Domestic Violence before the Family Courts and High Courts of Pakistan.
- Advised one of the leading manufacturers of paperboard on Anti-Dumping laws and its jurisprudence prevailing in Pakistan, India, United States, and the European Union especially in relation to Like Product, Export Price, Normal Price, Causation and Injury.
- Advised one of the leading electrical and digital building infrastructures pertaining to legal procedure and taxation issues pertaining to its office in Pakistan;
- Advised a Dubai based Law Firm in relation to the employment and labor laws of Pakistan;
- Advised a software house in relation to software patent-ability in the light of various jurisdictions including Hong Kong, USA, UK, GCC region, and Pakistan;
- Advised P & I Club the United Kingdom on the Maritime laws of Pakistan in relation to the jurisprudence surrounding the storage of oil cargo;
- Conducted legal research on FATCA, assisted in preparing the due-diligence report, and worked as a team with the Government of Pakistan, State Bank of Pakistan and Pakistan Bankers Association in relation to the implementation of inter-government agreements between US and Pakistan with regard to tax evasion and implementation of IGA model.