Mr. Junaid Ahmed is a Founding and Managing Partner of the firm. He is a Barrister-at-Law from Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn and Advocate of all High Courts of Pakistan. He is a graduate of University of London, and has completed his Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) from the University of West of England, Bristol.
Mr. Junaid particularly enjoys practicing challenging, complex and contentious areas. He is among the few lawyers at the bar who can confidently and competently handle briefs from any area of law. He is particularly admired for his advocacy and comprehensive legal research, and is usually engaged in sensitive and/or high profile matters surrounding the areas of Taxation, Customs, Anti-Dumping, Constitution, Commercial, Company, International Trade, Property and Real Estate, Landlord and Tenant, Family, Service/Employment, White-Collar Crime (including NAB/FIA) and Intellectual Property matters before the High Courts, Tribunals and also engaged by advocates for assistance before the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
On the corporate side, Mr. Junaid regularly advises local and international clients pertaining to contracts, legal frameworks, due-diligence of movable and immovable properties, compliance, registration of entities and protection of Intellectual Property. He is frequently engaged by corporate clients to formulate their legal strategy in order to mitigate their risk and to render advise on legal implications involved in commercial transactions.
Mr. Junaid is the youngest lawyer who founded a Law School i.e. Themis School of Law, in affiliation with University of London and then served as the Head of the Institution. He has been teaching law for the past eight years, and is presently the Module Leader for Criminal, Tort and Property law for both LL.B/CerHE students. He regularly conducts executive workshops both for professionals and students on the subjects of Civil litigation, Advocacy, Employment law and Family law.
The following is a list of some of the engagements in which Mr. Junaid Ahmed has been involved in recent years:
- Represented one of the leading manufacturers and exporter of Garments and Home Textile i.e. ASCO International Pvt. Ltd as their Lead Counsel in a matter pertaining to employment law and trade secrets before the Sindh High Court. The High Court granted the first-ever injunction on trade secrets, especially when there was no written contract between the employer and employee.
- Represented M/s. Monolite CNG International Ltd against Shell Pakistan Limited in relation to its disputes pertaining to Franchise Agreement, Rent Agreement, Land and other ancillary issues before the Sindh High Court (Karachi) and Rent Controller (Faisal Cantonment).
- Represented Project Management and Design Company against DHA Bahawalpur before the Sindh High Court (Karachi) and obtained an injunction successfully whereby the High Court restrained DHA Bahawalpur from taking any adverse actions against our Client. It must be noted here that DHA Bahawalpur was illegally threatening our Client to re-engage for Design services of the Project despite its contractual obligations have duly discharged and performed.
- Represented one of the leading manufacturers of paper/paperboard i.e. Khairullah Paper and Board Works Ltd and Pakistan Packages Ltd in Anti-Dumping matters before the Anti-Dumping Appellate Tribunal (Islamabad) and Sindh High Court.
- Represented one of the leading manufacturers as well as importer of paper/paperboard i.e. Khairullah Paper and Board Works Ltd in an income tax matter pertaining to the grant of exemption under Section 148 of Income Tax Ordinance 2001;
- Represented the family of Mr. Rana Hamir Singh, Member Provincial Assembly (‘MPA’) and Ex-Federal Minister of Pakistan, against GEO Television Network in a Defamation Suit before the Sindh High Court.
- Represented one of the Senior officers of Trading Corporation of Pakistan (TCP) before the Sindh High Court in a matter pertaining to the termination of employment. The Court suspended the show-cause notice and restrained Trading Corporation of Pakistan from terminating the employment of the officer.
- Represented one of the Distributors of Lenovo and Samsung before the Sindh High Court by challenging the actions taken by the Federal Investigative Agency (FIA) of freezing the personal bank account of our Client.
- Represented StampCo Steel Corporation before the Sindh High Court in a Custom Dispute and successfully released their Bank Guarantees deposited before the Custom Collectorate at the time of provincial release of steel consignments.
- Represented Travel Agents Association of Pakistan (‘TAAP’) in relation to a dispute of reduction of remittance cycle from fortnightly to weekly before the Sindh High Court;
- Represented Pakistan Mobile Telecommunication Company (Known as ‘Mobilink/Jazz’) in relation to a matter where we challenged the vires of Stamp Act 1899 as well as the inspection before the Sindh High Court;
- Acted as a Counsel on behalf of NCEL Building Management Ltd and Pakistan Merchandise Exchange Limited in a matter pertaining to the land called “Hayat Regency” in various contentious issues in relation to the ownership/transfer, rent, and the covenants contained in the lease deed before the Sindh High Court and Supreme Court of Pakistan;
- Represented S.C Johnsons & Sons Ltd successfully in Reduction of Share Capital proceedings before the Sindh High Court;
- Represented Regal Motors and DFSK (China) in a matter pertaining to infringement of Trademark and Passing-off. Successfully got the interim injunction in favour of our Client;
- Engaged as Junior Counsel in matter pertaining to Patent law on behalf of Getz Pharma Ltd in order to challenge the patentability of the molecule called ‘Ivabradine’ against Servier Laboratories (France) before the Sindh High Court;
- Acted as Junior Counsel for Master Enterprises (Pvt.) Ltd in a matter pertaining to the infringements of trademarks “Cool Gel” and “Memory” against various private entities before the Sindh High Court;
- Represented various foreign shipping clients through Indamines Marines Ltd such as Odfjell Asia Ltd, Argent Navigations Libero Panama S.A, Costus S.A, Jasmine Navigation SA etc in shortage of oil cargo disputes before the District Court of Pakistan;
- Represented various individual clients in matters involving Family law in relation to Child Custody, Maintenance and Domestic Violence before the Family Courts and High Courts of Pakistan.
- Advised one of the leading manufacturers of paperboard on Anti-Dumping laws and its jurisprudence prevailing in Pakistan, India, United States, and the European Union especially in relation to Like Product, Export Price, Normal Price, Causation and Injury.
- Advised one of the leading electrical and digital building infrastructures pertaining to legal procedure and taxation issues pertaining to its office in Pakistan;
- Advised a Dubai based Law Firm in relation to the employment and labor laws of Pakistan;
- Advised a software house in relation to software patent-ability in the light of various jurisdictions including Hong Kong, USA, UK, GCC region, and Pakistan;
- Advised P & I Club the United Kingdom on the Maritime laws of Pakistan in relation to the jurisprudence surrounding the storage of oil cargo;
- Conducted legal research on FATCA, assisted in preparing the due-diligence report, and worked as a team with the Government of Pakistan, State Bank of Pakistan and Pakistan Bankers Association in relation to the implementation of inter-government agreements between US and Pakistan with regard to tax evasion and implementation of IGA model.